Physical Properties and Uses of Terylene
Terylene (Dacron)is a polyester fibre, obtained by condensation polymerization of ethylene glycol and dimethyl terephthalate (D.M.T)
Physical properties of Terylene are
- Terylene fibres are strong and elastic in nature.
- They absorb very little water and hence dry quickly.
- They are stable at high temperatures.
- They are insoluble in most organic solvents, and resistant to acid and cold alkalies.
- They are crease resistant hence require very less ironing.
- They are resistant to attack of moths and fungi.
- They are resistant to friction (abrasion).
Uses of Terylene are
- Terylene is widely used in textile industry it can be blended (mixed) with cotton and wool to give terycot and terywool respectively.
- It is used to prepare fishing nets.
- It is used to prepare filter cloths and conveyor belts etc.
- It is used to make magnetic recording tapes and films.
- Terylene is also called PET (Polyethene terephthalate) this PET bottles and jars are used to store food materials.
To read more of my articles click on my name above or add me as your friends on triond join now